Thursday 31 October 2013

Halloween!!

I LOVE Halloween. Love it!

I love the decorations, and the colours, and the eerie excitement of the whole event.

I remember being in Whitby for Halloween one year, and it made me fall in love with it even more. The abbey, perched on top of the hill, subtly observing all of the incredible costumes and body art, and the market stalls piled high with pumpkins on the characterful storefronts next the bay. Trailing up the twisting alleyways of shops; I found one with elaborate gothic and Steampunk outfits hung high upon the walls, Directions hair dyes shelved in colour order, and intricate jewellery and lace displayed in glass cabinets - I was fascinated!

Ever since that holiday to Whitby I have become even more excited by Halloween and everything that comes with it. It is the time of year you can question-lessly fancy dress and can watch Tim Burton films all round the clock!

Halloween comes from 'All Hallows Eve', or 'All Hallows Even' in Scottish, which is the night in which older branches of Christianity (mainly Celtic) and some Pagan faiths worshiped and prayed for the dead. It has gradually become unattached to this religious origin and is now just an excuse for a party and some face paint - I'm not complaining.

My favourite part is deciding on a costume, and then putting it together. I get so much fun out of it and really wish there was more celebrations where you could do it. I love deciding on a character and then figuring out how you are going to pull it off. I especially like it when people take a more artsy take on it;


 Or funny;




More Halloween tomorrow!




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Elders Scroll Skyrim - Hand